Dr. Steven Komadina
The La Bamba Diet is not a starvation diet. Instead, it is based on science and nutrition. To lose fat and not merely water weight, we must get our bodies to burn fat.
Glucagon is the hormone that increases the fat-burning capacity of our bodies while insulin is the hormone that encourages the body to store fat.
The science behind the Herbalife La Bamba Diet is that we will increase our body's production of glucagon and decrease the body's production of insulin. Glucagon is released in the body when we eat protein and insulin is released to regulate carbohydrate metabolism.
During the Labamba diet, we will limit your consumption of carbohydrates (thereby suppressing the body's production of insulin) and increase your consumption of protein (thereby increasing the body's production of glucagon).
IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING KIDNEYS:
The La Bamba Diet Kit Includes:
- La Bamba is safe for everyone except those who have kidney problems or renal disease, in which case, they have to limit their consumption of protein.
- La Bamba is safe for diabetics, people with high-blood pressure and anyone who has a normal functioning kidney.
- 1 Unit - Formula 1 Shake (Large)
- 1 Unit - Personalized Protein Powder
- 1 Unit - Aloe Drink Concentrate
- 1 Unit - Herbal Tea Concentrate Small (1.8 oz / 50g)
- 2 Units - ShapeWorks Beverage Mix Packets
Day 1 - La Bamba Diet
For Day 1, you will have:
- 2 Gallons of the protein drink (flushes out breakdown products of protein from your kidneys with a lot of glucagon released)
Make the protein drink according to the following instructions:
- Take 2 gallon jugs of water.
- In EACH gallon of water, mix:
- 3-1/2 packets of Beverage Mix Packets (Peach Mango or Wild Berry)
- 2 teaspoons of Herbal Tea Concentrate
- 9 capfuls (2 fl oz) of Aloe Drink Concentrate
Have this drink throughout Day 1 and have no other food or drink. This is the only day where you might feel a bit hungry, but rest assured that your body is not starving. Each package of the Beverage Mix has 15 grams of protein. You will be consuming 8 packages, which means you will be getting 120 grams of total protein in Day 1.
Do not eat any regular snacks, food or drink on day 1. Otherwise, the La Bamba diet program will not be effective.
Day 2 - La Bamba Diet
For Day 2, you will have:
To make each shake add:
- 5 Shapeworks Formula 1 Shakes
- 2-3 cups of Herbal Concentrate Tea
- at least 8 glasses of water
- 2 scoops of Herbalife Shake Formula 1
- 1 tablespoon of Herbalife Protein Powder
- 8-12 ounces of either soy or low fat or skim milk (no fruit juice)
- Do not add fruit! (We want to restrict your intake of carbohydrates on this day)
The protein-rich shakes will suppress your hunger and the thermogenic effect of protein will help the body release glucagon which turns your body into a fat-burning machine.
Formula 1 Shakes are based on the NASA concept of the Complete Meal - you get all the nutrients and phytonutrients you need. Furthermore, every shake contains 20 grams of protein, 22 grams of carbohydrates, 6.4 grams of fat and only 250 calories. For Day 2 you will have a total of 100 grams of protein, 110 grams of carbohydrates, 32 grams of fat and 1250 calories.
Do not eat any regular snacks, food or drink on day 2. Otherwise, the La Bamba diet program will not be effective.
Day 3 - La Bamba Diet
For Day 3, you will have:
- 2 Shapeworks Formula 1 Shakes (made the same way as in Day 2)- no fruit or fruit juice
- 1 colorful meal - consisting of lean meat or fish, 3-4 servings of vegetables, salad, small potato or half cup of rice
- 2-3 cups of Herbal Concentrate Tea,
- at least 8 glasses of water
After Day 3 - La Bamba Diet Concludes
Return to your regular Shapeworks Program meal plan which consists of 2 shakes, 1 balanced meal, and supplements.
- When you hit a plateau, the dieter's tendency is to eat less (and exercise more). However, do not starve yourself! Instead, stay consistent and commit yourself to the mealplan. When you starve yourself, your body will start to conserve energy and store fat. If necessary, try the La Bamba Diet again.
- You should ONLY do this once per month.
La Bamba Diet Tips/QA:
- Q: I am sensitive to caffeine. Can I do The Labamba diet?
A: There is caffeine in tea. Use less Herbal Concentrate in your program. Put the Herbal Concentrate in first gallon only, not second so it won't keep them up all night. Or use half the recommended servings.
- Q: Can I do the LaBamba Diet more than once a month?
A: No, not recommended. This is a 3 day jump start program, not a long-term program. ShapeWorks program is designed for ongoing, long term results. Start next month with another boost with the La Bamba Diet, if wanted, but only once a month.
- Q: Can you use herbal aloe concentrate or drink in the quart bottle?
A: Yes, either one. If you prefer the mixed quart bottle, use the equivalent amount and reduce the water accordingly.
The Science Behind the La Bamba Diet Program
Glucagon (released when you eat protein) Herbalife La Bamba Diet releases glucagon
Insulin (released when you consume carbohydrates)
- Raises Blood Sugar
- By Converting Protein and Fat into Glucose
- Burns Fat
- Decreases Cholesterol Production
- Increases Release of Growth Hormone
- Decreases smooth muscles cells in vessel walls
- Makes Kidney release fluid
- Releases fat from fat cells for energy
- Makes dietary fats into ketones for energy
- Shifts metabolism into a Burning Mode
- Lowers Blood Sugar
- Increases the Storage of Fat
- Stimulates liver's synthesis of Cholesterol
- Glucose Decreases
- Growth Hormone Released
- Stimulates growth of arterial
- Smooth muscle cells
- Increases Appetite
- Makes Kidneys Retain Fluid
- Shifts Metabolism into Storage Mode
You can read more about this program in Dr. Steve Komadina, Md.'s book, Born To Be Healthy And Thin, pg. 193* Herbalife does not endorse or provide support for the La Bamba diet.